Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Seasonal Movie Watching!


Last night we all watched The Prince of Egypt, like my sister and I do every year around Lent. We're not particularly religious, but we were raised Catholic and have found ourselves watching the biblical movies we grew up with over and over again this time of year. In fact, my entire year is organized by the movies I watch at certain seasons and holidays and I'm getting a little OCD about it. I have New Years Eve movies, St. Patrick's Day movies, Lent/Easter movies, Fourth of July movies, summer in general movies, Christmas movies, and don't even get me started on Halloween. And some don't even make sense! If I can't watch all my movies, oooooh gurl! Watch out!

I know it's a little crazy to insist on watching the same movies year after year, but it's nice having something to look forward to all the time. If I don't allow myself to watch the movie until it's "time," I get more excited to watch it, and it's like revisiting an old friend. I just have to make sure I'm giving myself time to watch new films!

Do you watch the same films every year? What does your list look like?

(Here's a peek at my list!)

New Years Day: Breakfast At Tiffany's (not sure how that happened)
Lent/Easter time: ChocolatThe Prince of Egypt, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur
4th of July/summer: Jaws, The Sandlot, Beach Blanket Bingo, Gidget, Gidget Goes Hawaiian
Fall: The Graduate, Annie Hall, The Royal Tenenbaums, lots of Woody Allen
Halloween: Waaaaay too many to list
Thanksgiving: Best in Show
Christmas: Another very long list!
New Years Eve: The Poseidon Adventure, When Harry Met Sally, 200 Cigarettes


3 comments:

  1. It just feels wrong to watch Home Alone any other time of year. And you are totally right; keeping movies for certain times of the year gets you excited to visit them again! Also, it makes no sense whatsoever, but I watch 'Adventures in Babysitting' when it's spring cleaning time. Maybe because I don't want to have dirty glasses and pet rats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I don't really have any seasonal movies, as such. I usually keep Gosford Park to watch on rainy days. And I don't watch Christmas movies at any other time of the year (there aren't many I like, though), even though watching American Christmas movies with snow at that time of year is just plain weird for me. Maybe I need to start some traditions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I didn't post on this before now! Really the only seasonal movies I have to watch (besides WHITE CHRISTMAS and THE HALLOWEEN THAT ALMOST WASN'T) are the St. Patrick's Day fare. I guess that comes from growing up in an Irish family. None of them had anything to do with St. Patrick's Day, but they were all set in Ireland. The two mainstays were THE QUIET MAN and THE SECRET OF ROAN INISH, and my sister and I tried to catch DARBY O'GILL & THE LITTLE PEOPLE on Disney Channel any chance we got. Once it came out, we added WAKING NED DEVINE to the list. The only non-sensical movie tradition I have doesn't correspond with a particular holiday, but for some reason (which I might elaborate on in a future post..?) my go-to "so you had a bad day" movie is THE NEVERENDING STORY. It immediately gets rid of the blues and softens any sickness that I'm going through.

    ReplyDelete