Friday, May 3, 2013

A Movie Date to Remember

'Becca'lise & Craig, 2006

7 years ago today I got ready to go see a screening of Monty Python and the Holy Grail in Costa Mesa.  I guess it was a date.  I had sent the guy in question a Myspace message along the lines of: "Hey, are you free this Wednesday and if so are you a Monty Python fan and if so would you be interested in seeing Monty Python and the Holy Grail with me and if not well screw you." So classy! He agreed.

It wasn't our first movie together. About a week before that we saw The Notorious Bettie Page...it was the first time we ever hung out. Singing along to "Paper Moon" in the theatre, I had a feeling we'd get along pretty well. Shortly after that first night, he had come over to watch The 40 Year Old Virgin. We didn't really "watch" that one, if you know what I mean. And here I was asking him to another movie, a little nervous like I thought he'd say no or something. I really liked this guy.

Monty Python was great, the audience was enthusiastic, and the place roared with laughter. After the movie he bought us a slice of cheesecake to share, we talked about life, and I asked The Question: 

"So...where is this going?"

That question kicked off a truly cinematic life together; a boy and a girl in love with each other and with the movies, a life filled with dates and discussions (and arguments about What To Watch). They say love is not just looking at each other but looking together in the same direction. With us, that direction happens to be towards a movie screen.

Happy "Date-A-Versary," love.

No comments:

Post a Comment