Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)



I try really hard to see as many movies as possible. Despite my best efforts, some great movies go unwatched for far too long. When The Dissolve selected A Fish Called Wanda for their Movie of the Week, Craig and I decided to finally watch this movie. Between bouts of laughter, I kept asking him "How did we wait this long to see this movie??" It's that good.

I'd write a brief summary of the plot, but it doesn't really matter. All you really need are the characters: John Cleese is Archie Leach, an uptight British lawyer. Michael Palin is Ken, an anxious and timid man obsessed with his fish. Kevin Kline is Otto, a hilariously insane (and violent) (and jealous) man who's a whiz at weaponry. And Jamie Lee Curtis is Wanda, the sexy woman manipulating all these men. This film has Marx Brothers levels of madness. It's raunchy and outrageous, and I couldn't stop laughing! You've never seen a love scene like Otto having his way with Wanda while pulling faces and yelling Italian nonsense at her. Basically everything Kevin Kline did was hilarious. Jamie Lee Curtis did a great job too, switching her personality depending on which guy she's dealing with. And the profanity! I've never heard profanity wielded with such hilarious results. It's the perfect movie for a vulgarian like me.

This is streaming on Netflix right now, so if you haven't seen it, hop to it! Don't wait forever and be lame like me! And whatever you do, DON'T CALL ME STUPID!


No comments:

Post a Comment